Quantcast

questions about the search function

Peter Funk
Hello,

We are running Roundup in Ubuntu with mysql and xapian installed.

I'd like to know if it is possible to use advanced
search functions like wildcards ('*') and xapian boolean operators
(AND/OR/...) in the "all text" search field.

This is covered in part by the patch in
  http://issues.roundup-tracker.org/issue2550771
but only having xapian disabled. However Xapian is "strongly
recommended" when having more than 5000 issues, like in our case.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Peter Funk
--
Peter Funk, home: ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee
mobile:+49-179-640-8878 phone:+49-421-20419-0 <http://www.artcom-gmbh.de/>

Re: questions about the search function

Thomas Arendsen Hein
* Peter Funk <[hidden email]> [20160202 09:20]:

> We are running Roundup in Ubuntu with mysql and xapian installed.
>
> I'd like to know if it is possible to use advanced
> search functions like wildcards ('*') and xapian boolean operators
> (AND/OR/...) in the "all text" search field.
>
> This is covered in part by the patch in
>   http://issues.roundup-tracker.org/issue2550771
> but only having xapian disabled. However Xapian is "strongly
> recommended" when having more than 5000 issues, like in our case.

Die to http://issues.roundup-tracker.org/issue2550788 (Does not
support non-ascii chars for All text search (with Xapian))
I have removed Xapian from our tracker hosts and searches are still
fast enough (less than 2 seconds) with about 5600 issues in sqlite
and 3000 issues in postgres, both running in VMs on an old Xen box
together with our mail/groupware server.

Regards,
Thomas

--
[hidden email] - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998

Re: questions about the search function

Peter Funk
Thomas Arendsen Hein 02.02.2016 11:19 (MET):
> Die to http://issues.roundup-tracker.org/issue2550788 (Does not
> support non-ascii chars for All text search (with Xapian))
> I have removed Xapian from our tracker hosts and searches are still
> fast enough (less than 2 seconds) with about 5600 issues in sqlite
> and 3000 issues in postgres, both running in VMs on an old Xen box
> together with our mail/groupware server.

Many thanks for your quick response.
I now hopefully better understand the optionality of using Xapian
for Roundup.

However when looking at http://xapian.org/docs/queryparser.html
we see some features which look nice to have for Roundup users.

If we want to work on the backends/indexer_xapian then what would
be the best way to get this started?

Am I right in my assumption that the parameter wordlist given
to the method Indexer.find() is the list of words input into
search field of the web form?

Regards, Peter Funk
--
Peter Funk, home: ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee
mobile:+49-179-640-8878 phone:+49-421-20419-0 <http://www.artcom-gmbh.de/>
office: ArtCom GmbH, ✉Haferwende 2, D-28357 Bremen, Germany

Re: questions about the search function

Thomas Arendsen Hein
* Peter Funk <[hidden email]> [20160202 12:23]:
> However when looking at http://xapian.org/docs/queryparser.html
> we see some features which look nice to have for Roundup users.

I assume that Roundup needs to be adjusted to benefit from these
features.

> If we want to work on the backends/indexer_xapian then what would
> be the best way to get this started?

Write tests that expose the current problems, fix the problems, see
the tests pass? :-)

> Am I right in my assumption that the parameter wordlist given
> to the method Indexer.find() is the list of words input into
> search field of the web form?

Yes, roundup/cgi/templating.py calls self.db.indexer.search() with
the list of words extracted using re.findall ...
Oh, I think I just found the cause of the ignored special chars.
I'll at it to the issue.

Regards,
Thomas

--
[hidden email] - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Re: questions about the search function

Thomas Arendsen Hein
* Thomas Arendsen Hein <[hidden email]> [20160203 18:35]:
> Oh, I think I just found the cause of the ignored special chars.
> I'll at it to the issue.

Or not ... roundup/cgi/templating.py uses r'(?u)..., so it should
match unicode (but doesn't)

Regards,
Thomas